You probably heard or already know about hair masks. But you find yourself wondering how often you should do a hair mask treatment.
Very well then, don’t worry because we got you covered.
So how often should you do hair masks treatment?
Masks treatment is one kind of hair treatment that helps strengthen and moisturize the hair and can be done every week if needed.
However, some hair masks can be used multiple days in a week or once a month; it just depends on the type of mask and hair concerns.
So here’s how often you should do hair masks treatment according to what your hair needs.
- Protein Hair Mask: 1 once a month is recommended, depending on the level of protein already available in your hair.
- Hydrating hair mask: Once a week. However, if you notice your hair is not getting better, feel free to increase to 2-4 times a week.
- Oiling and Moisturizing hair mask: Once a week.
- Repair Damaged Hair.: Twice a week.
Generally, if you feel your hair is not getting better, you can increase how often you do the mask treatment or try other alternatives.
Veronica, celebrity hairstylist, and natural hair bloggers said the answer depends on both the texture of the hair and what you want the masks to perform.
But if you’re going to think outside the box, you will know that it is far beyond.
- 4 Ways To Achieve Hair Goals With Extensions and Wigs
- Is Keratin Treatment Good or Bad For Curly Hair?
- 5 Easy Curly Hair Care Routine You Should Try Out Today
- Do Highlights Damage Hair?
- Why Does My Scalp Itch After I Color My Hair?
Do Hair Masks Work?
The short answer is Yes! Hair mask do works intensively, whether homemade or the one bought from a store.
However, hair masks do work when you make and use the proper way for the right hair concern.
Yes! You can do it wrongly– in case you don’t know.
You noticed your hair is frizzy, and the ends are damaged, then your friend or stylist recommends mask treatment for you.
But because you wanted to fix it so quickly, you could not differentiate between the mask for hair that needs protein –and masks for hair that needs repair.
Without knowing that your hair has enough protein–you did protein masks concoction and applied it to your hair.
After that, it ended up adding extra protein to your hair strands.
And I believe you know the negative sides of protein overload.
So you need to get a mask that addresses your hair problem and use.
How Does Hair Mask Works?
All hair mask contains ingredients and nutrients that address a particular hair problem.
For instance, ingredients for protein masks are different from the ingredients of a hydrating mask.
So when you get or make a mask that can solve your hair problem and apply it to your hair, you leave it on for some time.
During the leave-in period, the mask sinks into the hair cuticle, its available nutrients.
And when the masks nourishment transfer is complete, it will;
- Give you softer and shinier hair.
- Moisturize your hair.
- Get rid of hair breakage and damage.
- Reduce frizz.
- Boast a healthier scalp.
- Improve hair strength.
How to Use Hair Masks
Whether your hair is natural, curly, or color-treated, the first thing you should do before you apply any hair repair product is to– ensure the hair is clean from dirt and buildup. So,
- Wash your hair very clean, because residue and dirt can hinder the nutrients from penetrating the hair. Also, do not condition your hair after washing.
- After that, untangle your hair, so it can be easily manipulated, although the mask can help you with that later. But, you should try your best first and leave the rest for the mask.
- Apply the mask to your hair and massage your scalp and hair starting from the roots.
- Tie your hair in Bun or Up Do style and cover with a shower cap.
- Let it sit for 15-30 minutes or overnight. (this depends on kind of hair masks, your hair type, condition, expectations, etc. We will discuss more on this later in this post)
- After that, wash it out with cold or lukewarm water and shampoo.
NB: If you want to let your homemade hair mask sit on your hair overnight, make sure your hair is not wet before you apply the mask.
Else your hair will absorb more moisture than your hair needs, which can lead to Hygral Fatigue (a situation where is damaged due to excess moisture entering or leaving the hair cuticle.
- Can Fermented Rice Water For Hair Treatment Go Bad?
- How Long Do Cornrows Last? Here’s Everything You Need To Know
How Long You Should Allow Hair Masks to Sit on Hair
Once you know and understand your hair- then how long it stays on your hair will depend on the result you want to achieve.
However, here are time estimates based on the type of hair mask.
- Hydrating Masks: 15 – 30 minutes
- Protein Masks: 15 minutes to overnight
- Damaged Hair Repair Masks: 20 – 40 minutes.
Time estimate according to your hair concerns.
- For Hair Growth and Strength: 30 minutes – overnight
- To Add Shines: 15 – 30 minutes
- To Control Hair Oil: 10 – 30 minutes.
What is the Difference Between Hair Mask and Hair Conditioner?
The real difference between hair mask and conditioner is that;
Hair masks work nourishes the outer and inner layer of hair, while conditioner whether leave-in or rinse out works on only the outer layer.
Another difference is that hair mask nourishment and repair is more intense and lasts longer than that of conditioner.
However, they both perform a similar task, but one is more potent than the other.
How to Make Your Own Hair Mask at Home (Video)
“Even the best powerful hair mask can not work for everyone”- I can’t remember where I saw this writing, but these words keep rolling fresh on my memory.
Understanding everything about your hair is the primary and core solution to every hair problem.
Now I would love to hear from you:
Did you find our post on how often to use hair masks helpful?
Or maybe you have a few crucial questions or experiences to share with us.
Either way, do let us know by leaving a comment right now and don’t forget to share it with friends.